A tool that provides support to the test management and controls the part of a test process. It often has several capabilities, such as test ware management, scheduling of tests, and the logging of results, progress tracking, incident management and test reporting.
Some benefits of using test management tool:
1. Creates an unlimited amount of test cases.
2. Links test cases to products and components being tested.
3. Links requirements to tests and issues.
4. Test cases tree (hierarchical folders) provides a familiar method for organizing requirements and test cases.
5. Group any number of test cases into test sets according to the testing procedure design.
6. Assign test cases to specific resources and track progress and current status of local and off shore work force.
7. Easily maintain regression and sanity sets as product testing moves forward.
8. Dashboard customization per user enables a quick review on testing progress, product quality etc.
9. Export test cases to Excel, Word or email.
10. Define when an alert should be sent and to whom using the email notification system.